The financial side of any organisation can see its success or failure
so this should be a focus point when starting a conservancy.The financial
status and management of the conservancy should be dealt with in the constitution.
The conservancy should have a financial year beginning and end, a bank
account and a treasure managing the funds. It should also give feed back
to the members on the financial status of the conservancy when needed
at the annual general meeting.
What can funds be used for ?
The examples below are just a few, where funds could play a major role
in the functioning of a conservancy.
- Employing rangers in the conservancy.
- Training rangers in the conservancy.
- Controlling exotic plant and animals in the conservancy.
- Rehabilitating habitats in the conservancy.
- Maintaining fire breaks around the conservancy.
- Getting specialist to assist in the management of the conservancy.
- Putting up signboards in the conservancy.
How can funds be generated?
Here are a few ways of generating funds for a Conservancy.
- Management fees can be collected.
- Co – operation in eco – tourism opportunities can be developed by
the landowners to generate income in their conservancy, for example:
- Hiking trails
- Picnic areas
- Fishing opportunities
- Bird watching
- Mountain bike Trails
- Overnight Facilities
- Farm Holidays
- Sponsors can provide financial support.